An initial response to reaching out to FIS alumni

Issue 39: 6/10/2023 From the Principal

I will start this week by recommending that current parents spend a little time reading an excellent article by Pauline Hall, the Vice Principal for years 10 – 13, about the best ways of communicating with us in the Secondary section to get the answers to any questions that you may have.  At the heart of the FIS strategy are four key core ideas, accountability being one of them.  By going directly to teachers or tutors, you can get quick answers for example.  Our staff throughout the school are friendly and approachable, so please do not be afraid to contact any of them.

As I wrote last week, we have a rich source of alumni with an array of experiences of higher education and the world of work.  Earlier this week, with the help of Mr Hammond (University guidance team), I initiated contact with around 250 or so alumni from 2015 – 2022 who had graduated from FIS.  A link was also put on the FIS Alumni page for any other graduates.  I asked them some basic questions such as the years of study at FIS, year of graduation, university for first degree, any higher qualifications, career path, and advice for current IB students.  It has been a couple of days and responses are starting to roll in!

What is striking on run through of responses is the range of university destinations, types and global outreach.  There are the prestigious institutions like Sciences Po, Imperial College London and University of Cambridge through to more specialist places of study such as Parsons School of Design and ESSEC: countries across the globe from Australia, Canada, USA, UK and France.  The career paths are also indicative of the varied interests that the IB helps our students to develop.  To name but a few they include a banker, a doctor, a marin commandant, and an advertising producer/art director.

There are some very sage words of advice for current students as well. This ranged from one of our students who gained the very rare 45 marks who said “IB is truly the best program and has prepared me far more for university than most of my peers who did other high school courses. It is tough but definitely worth it, and I am sure you will all do well!” to another with a very practical answer, “Past papers!!!! And keeping a balance between work and social life.”

My next step is to write individually to some of the alumni to get some more indepth answers and advice for our students.  It has been a rewarding experience so far, and I look forward to reconnecting with some great ex-students.

Mark Williams
Secondary Principal (International Stream)

Share
[cvw_social_links]