A week of positives

Issue 38: 29/9/2023 From the Principal

A large number of our 2023 alumni have been coming into school this week to say their nervous fond farewells as they embark on the exciting next stage of their lives to universities around the world.  On top of this we have also had quite a number of prior alumni who are going back for their 2nd or 3rd year of degree courses, and want to catch up with their former teachers and let us know how life has been for them. Over the next few weeks I hope to run some stories of some of these alumni, how they have fared since leaving FIS and what the future holds for them.

We also hear from time to time from families who left FIS before the IB Diploma years, normally due to the usual expat need to return to their own country or for another posting out of Hong Kong.  This week I received a warm email from a family who returned home to Germany with this nice line: ‘We still remember the exciting times in Hong Kong and are grateful that we had such great experience over there…… My daughter obtained last year her German Abitur together with the American High School diploma and is now studying International Business (in English) here in Potsdam. Her field of specialisation will be in Consulting.” What a great start to the day!  Studies such as this one from Bryant et al show that you can boost your happiness through positive reminiscence.  Certainly the family and student in this email put a smile on my face and meant that I started the day in a positive fashion.

If you are in touch with any alumni family who wish to let the school know what they are doing now, please encourage them to write to me on my school email mwilliams@g.lfis.edu.hk and I can share with the rest of the community their good news.

Mark Williams
Secondary Principal (International Stream)

Share
[cvw_social_links]