TKO Sixiemes visit Crossroads: We came we care we commit

Issue 34: 30/6/2023 Tseung Kwan O News (Reflections and Achievements) 6ème

As part of Commitment Week, TKO’s sixièmes  took part in the charity Crossroads Trail of Needs’ new interactive simulation. 

The aim:  raise awareness of the world’s most pressing needs through issues such as poverty, refugees and modern slavery. Set in a series of shipping containers in Crossroads Village, the trail gives visitors the opportunity to explore these big issues together and think about how they can help people in need.

Here are some comments from our 12 year old students after the visit:

“In my group, we went in some sort of pathway, where there were various rooms showing us how it would look like to be a refugee.We went in rooms representing refugees’ houses, schools, shops and hospitals. In every room, there was a story according to the place, then we had to answer questions about the scenario and propose ideas of how we could help the refugees in need. A lot of scenarios made me feel so bad, especially a room that showed us that some poor people literally live in landfills.” Z.C

It’s so sad that people have to live in these conditions. Why does it even exist?
Before, I thought I was empathic and I knew all about the problems in the world, but I was so wrong! I learned about the problems in the world and I put myself in the refugees’ shoes.
I will talk about my experience at Crossroads to my parents and see if they want to make a change”.  M.F

“Then we went to a simple and  poor hospital . It was quite scary. The equipment and the inside of the container looked so poor.” E.L

“The next room was a trash dump .It showed that there were people(a lot) that lived on landfills  and lived off trash : they search for food in it, make houses out of it… ” E.L

“The school can support by giving them school supplies and help.” S.M.

“I learned that I need to be grateful for my family, going to school, having a house and to be alive.” C.T

“I learned that the world has things that are just not right and we can all change people’s lives. We are never too small to make a difference. Anyone can make a difference. (…)”

“We can donate money and give some goods for the poor people or anyone with problems in life to help them.”

“The whole school can donate some money and objects we don’t need.” A.W.

“After we went back inside, we wrote a letter of all the things we could do to help the refugees and remind everybody that it’s not okay for our world to be like that, for people to have big houses, good food, electricity while people have none.” M.F.

Patricia SEGUIN
English Teacher

Share
[cvw_social_links]