Resolutions

Issue 16: 20/1/2023 From the Principal

I don’t do the whole resolutions thing. They’ve never really worked for me and I much prefer just taking stock of what is going on in my life, what I feel I would like to do over the year ahead and then committing to a general theme (or two). Last year my theme was ‘living life more healthily’. No specifics, no metrics and no accountability. The theme is simply a North Star that helps support any big decision-making. That’s about it.

How did it go? Well, in fact surprisingly well. I knew that something was afoot, and my general aim was working, when I saw many people for the first time in 3 or more years last summer. The vast majority commented upon how much healthier I looked upon reconnecting with them in person, and this gave me a big boost in confidence. There is nothing like a complement to make the day a great one! The trick is now to keep the good habits that I found myself fostering, and not slip back into the old ways.

So what will my North Star be in 2023? At a time when more and more knowledge is being made available in all sorts of ways, I feel that I know less than before. Truths seem to be challenged more regularly than ever, and I find myself less “in the know” even though I try to read a range of articles from various sources. Words that once meant one thing seem to have changed in meaning, and can now offend someone rather than be a complement. As such it would serve me well to perhaps look elsewhere for my reading stimulus, be more open to taking on ideas from an even wider range of sources than previously. I’ll let you know in January 2024 how I got along in my search to feel more in touch with current knowledge.

Mark Williams
Secondary Principal (International Stream)

Share
[cvw_social_links]