At a glance: Interview with the SCMP / FIS at 60

Issue 04: 7/10/2022

Today I was interviewed for a profile in the South China Morning Post. It was a fascinating exchange on a number of highly pertinent questions raised by the interviewer. I thought I would share the first question as well as my answer, as it speaks to both my vision as a new Head of School and the fact that our school will soon be turning 60 in 2023, something we will celebrate!

Question: The French International School will celebrate its 60th anniversary next year. What is your vision as the new head of the school?

Answer: The long history of FIS is something extraordinary to build on. Imagine what Hong Kong, France, and the world looked like in 1963, and what the reality of 2023 is. As I think about the future of the school, I know I am building on the shoulders of giants! My vision as a head is inspired by our school vision, organised in 5 pillars: an expert and caring team of close to 400 extraordinary educators working every day at the school; an academic and collaborative learning environment on four campuses, each one with its own flair and characteristics; a governance that is united and sound and allows to ensure the long-term viability of the school, especially key in the recent adversarial context for international schools in HK; a diverse and engaged community, with all its members united in service of one goal: serving the needs of our top pillar, our spirited and confident students. Going back to the history of the school though, we have to realise and acknowledge the radical differences in these needs between today and yesterday. If I had to summarise my vision in one word, it would be “relevance”. How do we ensure the FIS education remains relevant for our students and prepares them for the opportunities and challenges of tomorrow? FIS will continue to thrive on its relevance, in preparing the stewards and champions of the world of tomorrow.

Dr. Emmanuel Bonin
Head of School

Share
[cvw_social_links]