FIS is the only accredited French school in Hong Kong under the Agency For French Teaching Abroad (AEFE) convention whose role is to ensure that the curriculum delivered in the French Stream follows the French Education system. This convention also stipulates that the Headmaster is appointed by AEFE. Therefore, the pedagogical side of the school is placed directly under the umbrella of the French Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs.
What is the FIS Victor Segalen Association Ltd?
The “French International School 'Victor Segalen' Association Limited” is a company limited by guarantee and not having a share capital, incorporated in Hong Kong on 20 November 1979.
Anyone holding a debenture, individual or corporate, is de facto a member.
The Association holds a General Meeting once a year and members are invited to another information meeting during the school year. The “French International School 'Victor Ségalen' Association Limited" manages the non-educational aspects of FIS in Hong Kong.
As an independent, non-profit school, The French international School (FIS) is managed by a Board comprising 13 members maximum: 12 parents elected for 3 years and Consulate General of France as well as invited members from the consulate and the French Chamber of Commerce. These Board members are all volunteers and do not receive any financial compensation from FIS for their involvement.
The Board is in charge of defining the school’s strategy and ensuring its financial and legal position as well as defining the lines of management for Human Resources, Development, Marketing and Communications. The elected parents and members of the Board take the success and transparency of their management very seriously. It meets formally six to eight times a year.
The Board accounts for the management and the use of funds to the members of the Association at the Annual General Meeting. The current President of the Board, Yves Bernard, has held this position since July 2017. Based in Asia for over 20 years, Yves is a father of 3 children, 2 of whom are students at FIS.
These committees support the work of the Board:
- Finance Committee controls the financial management of FIS. The Chairwoman is Amelie Breitburd.
- Human Resources Committee deals with conditions of service for teaching and non-teaching staff at FIS. The Chairman is Goran Kuna.
- Governance Committee which supervises the legal and organisational needs of FIS. The Chairman is Mark Bennett.
- Buildings Committee which works on building and renovation plan. The members are Clément Brunet Moret and Séverine Teisseire
- Strategy, Marketing and Communications Committee works on the Strategy of FIS Communication. The Chairwoman is Sonia Perna Darghouth.
- Sustainable Developement Taskforce has Isabelle Chabrat as Chairwoman.
- AEFE Taskforce has Yves Bernard as Chairman.
- Vision Taskforce defines the Vision and long term goals of FIS. The Chairwoman is Severine Teisseire.
Each committee is headed by a Committee Chairperson, who can call on outsiders and volunteers to join the Committee or work on a specific taskforce
Join the Board and its Committees
As a parent, you can join a committee and / or put yourself forward for the Board. The members of the Board and parent representative for the School Councils will be elected during the Annual General Meeting.
Parents have a unique opportunity to contribute to the management of the non-teaching aspects of the school.
Oversight of the management of the Association by elected parents allows the teaching teams to concentrate on the education of the children who have been entrusted to them.
If you would like to join the Board or find out about its workings and the committees, please contact Marie Bourrut Lacouture at email firstname.lastname@example.org