The FIS Library, also known as the CDI, is a place where students and teachers work and read, it also serves as a centre of pedagogy and research. It is shared by the French and International sections each with their own language resources that are accessible by all students.
The library is open every day from 8:30 to 5:30. You are able to use the library during all breaks, Permanence and lunch time. When there is a class in session, a sign will be posted at the entrance.
Visits to the Library
Students come to the library for a specific reason: studying, researching or reading. Students who need to do research have first priority to use the computers.
The library should be calm to allow everyone to complete their tasks in a quiet, relaxed environment. Students may not come to the library to socialize. They must be able to demonstrate that the library can specifically fulfill a function with its resources. The library is not a place to fraternize, and repeat offenders will be banned for a period of time. It will be a sanction and the family will be informed.
- No bags are allowed inside or outside the library. They must be stored in the lockers.
- Students from F1-F4 and 6ème-3ème must register in permanence before coming to the library and must register again in the library on arrival.
- Students from F1-F4 and 6ème- 3ème exempted from class may not come straight to the library. They must go to the Vie Scolaire first.
- Students from F5-U6 and 1ère-Terminales must register themselves in the library when they arrive.
- Students should come into the library at the beginning of the hour and leave at the end of the hour, after the bell rings. Entering and leaving the library is restricted, as is talking, so as to create an optimum atmosphere for students to work.
- Mobile phones, games, iPods and MP3s are prohibited in the library.
- Drinking or eating in the library is prohibited.
- Students must respect the regulations when using the computer and Internet.
School rules apply in the library.
Students are allowed to borrow up to three books for two weeks. Books may be renewed. If a student does not return their loans in a timely manner, they will be unable to loan until the books are either returned or paid for. All books must be returned in the same condition as when they were borrowed. Lost or damaged books must be replaced or reimbursed. Books can be reserved. Suggestions for ordering new books are welcome. Students are allowed to borrow magazines except the current issues.
Comics and Reference materials cannot be borrowed.
Photocopies / Printer
Students are encouraged to use the materials provided in the library reasonably, namely the photocopier and printer.
- Students of F1, F2, F3, F4, 6ème, 5ème, 4ème, 3ème are allowed 100 pages for photocopying and printing for one school year.
- Students from F5, L6, U6, 1ère, Terminales are allowed 200 pages for photocopying and printing in one school year.
Additional pages cost 1 HKD and are billed at the end of the school year.
Usage of computers and Internet in the library
A Conditions of Use Form for computers must be signed by all students and their parents, in order to assure correct usage. Students must register their name, purpose and the name of their subject teacher, on the form on the librarian’s desk, before they access the computers. Students may word process, use educational software, the Internet and online resources for school work.
The librarians will help the students to acquire strategies to find information quickly on the internet and in print resources.
They will also assist students in selecting materials to promote reading for pleasure and using BCDI. No social networking tools e-g Facebook, MSN, Twitter, no chatting, no blogging and no personal messaging are allowed in the library.